Another chance to flesh out one of my settings. This time we’re a mercenary, somewhere on Midgard.
Let’s go to the Ginnungagap!
- What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
You worship all the Gods, but one more than others – you know the sacred rites of Odin or Loki better than those of the other gods, and so your connection to them gives you your divine spark.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
Try the Markets, you should find them in most settlements – ground or spacer.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
I’m not going to ask you where you found that thing, just get out of here – ask around the Markets.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
Odin, the Runefather, though some would say Freya. I’m sure you wanted to know a person, but how would I know who’s the most powerful witch in orbit?
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
Thor Odinsson, but give me a sword and half a skin of mead and I’ll show you a thing or two.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
Probably the Jarl hereabouts, most of the Karls across the Nine Worlds would have some money to go with their power.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
Have you tried asking around the Markets? Look for a witch.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
Most of those, a witch could help. Try a cleric for the rest.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
I’ve heard a rumour that the mages all have a way to communicate. I wouldn’t know though, I stick to my sword.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
You’re talking to one, I can put the word out. What do you need?
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Don’t go trying hurting or putting any charms on anyone in a settlement and you’ll be fine.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
Solveig’s is just over there.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
Bunch of draugr showed up near that starfall a few months ago. I’ve lost too many friends killing draugr, you could go hunt them down. Or find the cause….
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
It’s Fimbulwinter, give it a while and there’ll be a big one around real soon.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
I’ll call up my mercenary friends and we’ll do some ‘training’, how about that?
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
None I know of. Ask Frode the Mad, he’s always talking about them.
- What is there to eat around here?
I’m having porridge, sausage, or roasted honker, and mead. Want some? Go ask Solveig.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
If you can find enough parts to fix up one of the wrecks, you could get off this rock and up to the Gap.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Head out far enough to sea, you’ll see a few dragons churning in the water. No idea where they’d keep any treasure though. There was a bandit king living in the mountains, they say he had a fortune. Try there.