Another post in the series to flesh out settings, this time we’re heading to the Weird West. I’ve done grumpy dwarf and helpful citizen, this time I’ll be a grizzled antihero, like half the folk in the setting.
- What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
You tell me, greenhorn. You worship one of the old gods now they ain’t illegal? Or you fall back on the dark powers and I have to take you in?
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
Smithy is down near the Ironrail waystation, Harper’s General Store is up the street by the stagecoach stop.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
You made a friend? Good for you. Make it yourself, no one is going to help you heavily arm a ‘monster’.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
Now the Liches are dead you mean? Either their apprentices, escaped or imprisoned, or the Archmages that succeeded them. Hope they don’t turn out like the last lot did.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
Everyone and anyone with a gun on their hip thinks they’re the greatest. Most aren’t.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
Whoever owns the Ironrail, I’d guess. Richest person in town is Harper – owns the store, runs the bank, runs the work crew for the Ironrail.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
Find a healer. Try the Temple over yonder, or try a witch – if you can find one.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
A cure for undeath? Bullet through the head. Lycanthropy? Silver bullet through the head. Most of the other stuff, find a cleric of the old gods.
Don’t ask anyone else for a cure to death, or you’ll get a bullet through the head. I’m feeling forgiving today, lucky you. No one wants more liches.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
Well, you’ve got your license, right? That’s basically a guild, from what I’m told. I prefer to put my trust in the steel at my hip than a wand.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
Around these parts? Ask around in the bar.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
Wherever there’s a game of cards, I’m sure you;ll find some.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Now this far out west there isn’t. Just don’t try and raise any dead, and you won’t get killed.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
The Witch’s Brew is right over there.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
There’s a nest of Displacers attacking cattle. Ranchers are looking for help with that.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
Not unless you want to revisit the last one. There’s more than a few trying though, from what I hear.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
You want to go a few rounds with your hands, the Witch’s Brew runs bouts every week.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
I’m going to pretend you didn’t mention joining any kind of nefarious group and tell you the Sheriff will give you a badge if he needs a posse to rout out a Deady.
- What is there to eat around here?
I hope you like salted meat and pickled vegetables.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
Out here? This far from civilisation? I doubt it. Let me know if you find any.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Rumour is there’s a dragon in the hills further west – go see Harper, he’s looking for someone to get rid of it before the Ironrail gets there.