Another in the series of using twenty questions to bump up the setting information – this time we’re looking at my swashbuckling romantic fantasy setting, Sky Island Saga.
Last time I was a grumpy old dwarf, this time, I’ll be a more helpful citizen of a Freehold.
Hello traveller, new to the skies? You must have lived in some seclusion to have avoided them, or else been born on one of the larger Islands, yes?
How can I help?
- What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
You venerate the entire High Host, but you probably hold close to one of them in particular, yes? You know which of the Upper Realms they claim dominion over, and may have visited at some point in your training.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
Find a smithy, or head to the Tinkers’ Market for most of your needs.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
Wow, he’s a tall fellow isn’t he? And you say he’s not dangerous? Well, you seem a trustworthy sort. Welcome to the Freehold. As I said, the smithy or the Market are a good bet, but you might want to head to the Scholarium as well. They’d be very interested in meeting your friend, I’m sure.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
Any of the three advisers to the throne, I would say. Don’t be fooled by the look of them though, they’re really dragons. Say they prefer to spend time in our forms, I think it’s so they don’t frighten the children in the palace, you know?
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
Any of the Buzzwing Brigade would be held in high esteem, but Captain Coldstone is one of their finest fliers, and she’s repelled more than a few sky pirates and slavers from the Freehold.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
I wouldn’t really know. One of the nobles in the palace? Half of them are merchants anyway.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
The Temples will help you out if you’re in need.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
The Temples again, though you could get more than a few home remedies from the Market, and the Scholarium knows a thing or two about diseases.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
The Scholarium is the closest thing to a guild for folk with magick, though you could also join the Reserves and get training in defensive magick, and I’m sure several of the nobles would give training to those that asked politely.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
The Scholarium and the Market are the answer to a lot of your questions today.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
The docks and the taverns are full of the sellsword type, and there’s a few boats floating nearby might be up for some coin.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Don’t draw a sword in the Freehold outside of training or defending it from invaders and you should be fine. Same goes for magick.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
There’s one across the square there, the August Maiden.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
Heard a rumour there’s ships going missing heading to an island nearby. Skywhales is the story for what’s taking them but that would be a first.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
None I’d know of, but there’s always conflict between Those Above us and Those Below.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
You can try your luck in the barracks, they might pay you to help train the troops.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
Powers Above, I hope not.
- What is there to eat around here?
I’m all out of bread for the day, I was heading home. Try me tomorrow in the Market.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
The World Before held treasures unimaginable. If you can find anything that long lost, you’d be a legend alright.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Head on to the islands Down Below and see what you can find. I won’t be joining you!